The essential journalist news source
Helping hand onto the property ladder


A range of new-build homes in the city to help buyers take their first step on the property ladder are being offered for sale by Cardiff Council, as part of itsAssisted Home Ownership Scheme.


A number of two and three-bed properties in Snowden Road in Ely are being delivered as part of the Council's award-winning Cardiff Living programme with Wates Residential and will be completed towards the end of this year.


The new family homes meet very high standards in design and quality and are more energy efficient than standard new-build properties.


\\\ISShared$\PHOTOGRAPHY DIARY\2019-20 PHOTOGRAPHY DIARY\April 2019\Nick T Cardiff Living pics April 2019\190410Llanrumney Developments007_NTreharne.jpg


The Council is offering the properties for sale on a shared equity basis with the buyer contributing 70% of the cost with the council retainingthe remaining 30% equity as a charge on the property. There is no rent or other charge to pay on this 30% share.


Other properties currently available through the scheme are two bed homes on the Highfields development in Old St. Mellons, which are being sold on a shared equity basis on behalf of United Welsh Housing Association.


To be eligible for the scheme, applicants must be a first time buyer, be over 18 and have lived or worked in Cardiff for at least the past six months.


Cabinet Member for Housing and Communities, Cllr Lynda Thorne, said: "With house prices increasing in Cardiff, many people are finding it hard to save a large enough deposit and are unable to afford a large enough mortgage to purchase their first home. Some people struggle to afford high rents in the private rented sector while others have to live in the family home for many years while saving a deposit.


"All these factors mean it's very difficult for young people today to get that first step up onto the property ladder but through this scheme, we can help people who find themselves in this position move into our high quality, beautiful new homes.


"We're also looking at other ways we can help new buyers such as Shared Ownership and Rent to Own models to make it easier for people to be able to buy their first home."


\\\ISShared$\PHOTOGRAPHY DIARY\2019-20 PHOTOGRAPHY DIARY\April 2019\Nick T Cardiff Living pics April 2019\190410Llanrumney Developments017_NTreharne.jpg

A Cardiff Living development in Llanrumney


All properties available through the Assisted Home Ownership  Scheme are available to view at


If you are interested in this scheme and for more information, call 029 2087 1948, or register on the council website using the above link.